I often think of doing a list of top tips which I've picked up over years of running but shy away because who hasn't heard them all before? Well at least these tips I can say I've tried and tested and they've gotten me some ok results.
- Be passionate about running.
- Read training books to understand the types of training.
- Don't do the same training every week, have periods of trying in blocks of say 6 to 8 weeks.
- Sleep well. Very important to spend a bit on a good bed. A cheap mattress will stop the blood flowing to your legs.
- Don't eat cakes, puddings, sweets, biscuits, or foods which have more than 15% sugar.
- Most people eat too much refines carbs such as white pasta, bread, potato's, noodles etc. Cut down on these or replace with wholegrain.
- If you can eat mostly proteins and fats when your not training hard.
- Plan what to do if you get injured. For example, cycle, aquarunning.
- Find out what weight is best for you, this is usually what weight you are when your body fat % is sensible. Look up the Stillman height / weight guide. Or buy and read Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald.
- If you suffer from cramps due to hard training take a teaspoon full of bicarbonate of soda once a day for a couple of days.
- Get support from friends, you can't be your best on your own.
- Don't think of excuses because everyone has them. - Believe in the truth, having the right genes, born at altitude, etc are only tiny things that'll make a difference to Running compared to training correctly.
Im stopping now because I have to go out for my run ! Perhaps that should be my last tip, spend less time on screens ! Only joking. Bye for now.